Nick is passionate about building systems well. What does this mean? Huge amounts of waste and expense have engulfed our industry over and over again. Dealing with complexity and understanding the business or “what we really meant to built” is the key to reducing this waste.
He has extensive experience in designing and implementing systems in the most simple way possible. He has spent years employing and practicing the latest agile principles and practices to deal with a constantly changing business horizon.
He has over 15 years of developer experience including a stint at Microsoft. He leads development teams, acts as an agile agent of change and designs and develops high quality systems.
He is currently consulting at Waitrose on both their agile transformation and their rebuild of their groceries ecommerce site; built on both a serverless and a docker/kubernetes microservice platform with a React/redux based front end website, and a native mobile application.
- Passionate about software development done well with less waste, helping businesses succeed
- Extensive experience leading teams and successfully delivering projects
- Extensive architecture and design experience
- Extensive developer coaching and mentoring skills
- Over 15 years of developer experience building websites and applications
- Extensive knowledge of cloud services, having built on both Azure and AWS
- Extensive experience of Agile, Scrum, XP, TDD and lean/ Kanban methodologies (Certified ScrumMaster)
- Principal developer at planner.royallondon.com, taking on a variety of roles including software architect, technical authority, ScrumMaster, team leader and developer
- Led both co-located and offshore teams at The FA, leading a rebuild of www.thefa.com
- Wrote HazWasteOnline: A web based rules engine for classifying chemical analysis as hazardous waste. Based on government regulations for the environmental industry
- Developer at msn.co.uk: The UK’s largest web portal at the time
- Worked for Microsoft, supporting Visual Basic and Visual Interdev
Skills and experience
- Strong leadership: forging strong teams, aligning people and vision, coaching and mentoring
- Extensive agile: Scrum and lean/ Kanban, facilitating process, planning/ feature meetings, retros
- Strong architecture and design: Microservices, SOA, REST, OO, SOLID, design patterns, messaging, functional programming
- Extensive testing, BDD and TDD skills, code craftsman
- Strong cloud service design: REST Apis, Microservice/ serverless design, Docker, AWS, Azure
- Neo4j, MongoDB, RavenDb, RDBMS
- Microsoft stack: C#, .NET Framework, ASP.Net MVC, Web Api
- Jenkins, Travis, PowerShell, TeamCity, Octopus, MSBuild
A detailed work history and references are available on request.